1950s hairstyles are perfectly on trend for spring and summer 2011. If you thought that retro look was too hard to achieve, think again: 1950s hairstyles can be fairly simple. By following a few simple styling tricks, you can get the cute, retro hairstyle of your dreams. Here’s how you can get started:
- It’s all about the volume. Start with a volumizing or curl-enhancing shampoo and conditioner. You need your hair to stay big – and it all starts with the right hair products.
- The deep part. A hallmark of 1950s styles is the deep side part. Use your eyebrow as a guide to determine where to put your part. You want it to be anywhere between the arch and the end of your eyebrow, depending on how deep you want it.
- Add some volume with natural hair extensions. Retro styles often work best if you have some volume, so try natural hair extensions if your hair is fine or short. Natural hair extensions can be styled just like the hair on your head, so they work better for 1950s hairstyles than their synthetic counterparts.
- Second time’s the charm. Most 1950s hairstyles work best if you wait until your hair is slightly dirty. It will be better able to hold curls and backcombing. Freshly washed hair doesn’t stay put quite as well as slightly dirty hair. If you’re concerned about grease, grab some dry shampoo (or baby powder – a celebrity hair stylist secret).
- There’s more than one way to get a curl. You can get soft retro curls in multiple ways, from pin curls to hot rollers. One easy way to get gorgeous curls is to use a 1” curling iron. Separate your hair into small sections and curl each one, twisting your wrist as you go. Fingercomb (rather than brush) your hair to leave the curls intact.
- Go for height. 1950s hairstyles are known for being voluminous, so backcomb your hair to get some height. Backcomb the hair at the crown of your head, securing the hair in place with bobby pins if necessary.
1950s hairstyles don’t have to be tricky to pull off. You can do them at home with backcombing, a curling iron and some patience. So don’t wait – get that cute retro look today!